GNOME 3 is like Vim.

Posted by – 22/03/2012

You might know that I am testing GNOME 3. So far, so good. I was a little annoyed by the not-obvious and undocumented have-to-add-user-to-pulse-and-pulse-access procedure and the keyboard-shortcut-settings-bad-design-bug, but now sound works and my usual shortcuts are in-place…

I found myself liking the environment, but not sure about why I was liking it. I was always a minimalist user. At one time I convinced myself X11 (or Xorg) served as a terminal multiplexer… but now, GNOME 3 is changing that with its unobstructiveness (is there such a word?).

One thing that might be selling GNOME 3 to me is that it resembles Vim, my beloved text-editor and multipurpose IDE. Just think about the “Overview” mode as a command-mode in Vim. While working in Vim, I focus in one thing at a time, and everytime I want to do some “meta” thing, I Escape to the command-mode. It’s just the same in GNOME 3: “Overview” let me do “meta” things and gives me the whole power of the Desktop in one screen.

I am not sure I am going to keep GNOME 3… But thinking it’s like Vim is a compelling argument.

8 Comments on GNOME 3 is like Vim.

1. Andreas Gläser says:

The package-name is avant-window-navigator, not window-manager of course, sorry, kind of have been in a hurry, just remembering fuzzily.

2. Andreas Gläser says:

Unsure about vim, because I never used this. In my opinion vi is really just a pain in the neck, so I prefer to use nano, if in a limited console-environment, it´s the dafault-editor anyway, even for visudo.
    Gnome 3 seems to be OK for me, too. You can apt-get install avant-window-manager. This gives you an OS-X-like configurable dock to put the applications in, you used to have in your gnome-panel. It pulls in quite a lot of dependencies and takes too long to load on system-startup in my opinion, but once loaded it serves my needs. it is possible to put the desktop-folder in this dock, too, if you are used to save lots of files there.
    Gnome-3 requires hardware-accelleration, which some older hardware can not provide.

3. Anonymous says:

I agree entirely with this analogy, both for the reason you mentioned and another reason: I dislike several bits of the default vim configuration, but I can easily change it. Likewise, once I fixed the few things that really bugged me about GNOME 3 (notably suspend-on-lid-close and no shutdown option), I started really enjoying it.

4. mirabilos says:

It’s a compelling argument, indeed… for staying far off GNOME. 3 or not, for that matter. (Personally, I dislike vim stronger than (n)vi – except nvi in Debian is broken with non-ASCII files – but then, I can deal with ed better than any vi, so…)

• spectra says:

OK… It’s a matter of taste, for sure. It’s a compelling argument for people that like Vim/(N)vi… I just assumed Vim has won over Emacs… but that might be just me 😉

• mirabilos says:

I don’t particularily care for *vi*, but Emacs is an operating system lacking a decent editor. (OTOH, IIRC someone did port ed to elisp, so… there may be hope.)

5. Julian Andres Klode says:

So, why are you running PulseAudio in system mode at all? The default configuration with per-user sessions should work out of the box. This way, there should be no reason at all to manipulate groups, not even have the user added to audio, as ACLs are created automatically for the current user by ConsoleKit.

• spectra says:

The thing is that I am not… I also don’t know why it doesn’t work (and I haven’t investigated it) out of the box. The fact is that, to be able to change the volume, I had to add my user to those groups. Maybe I should fill a bugreport (not sure against which package, though)…